Meet the Interns: Madison.

Once again, we were humbled & overwhelmed at the amazing applicants we received for our internships.  It’s always tough to find the best team – but we’re excited to introduce you to our Spring 2011 Mochaterns!
They will be working alongside our staff in Nashville from January 18 – May 6.

———-

Name: Madison Hipp

Department: all things Mocha Club (artists, communications, marketing)

Hometown: Kannapolis, NC

University/Year/Major: a GRADUATE of UNC Chapel Hill where I majored in Public Relations in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

Favorite place you’ve traveled: The 3.5 weeks I spent in Kenya the summer of 2007 were quite possibly the most profound 23 days of my life thus far. As most people do, I returned home a different person, touched by the purest form of JOY and overwhelmed with love for new friends I would most likely never see again. I have never felt more at peace than I did sitting in the middle of a school yard with 20 preschoolers climbing all over me, singing songs and playing with my hair. I have never been more captivated by a sunrise than the one that burst along the horizon of a safari game reserve. I have also never cried as hard as I did the day a hundred precious children lined the school-yard fence, knowing as I turned out of the driveway that I would never see their smiling faces again. When I left Kenya I left a piece of my heart behind — so I guess in a way, it’s both my favorite place I’ve traveled & also my favorite place I’ve stayed.

Hidden talent: My initial first thought was: “crud, I don’t have any hidden talents…or if I do, they remain hidden from me too.” This of course caused me to doubt my entire existence for an entire 60 seconds. Once recovered from my bout with self-doubt, I decided to ask some of my beloved friends and families what my “hidden” talents were. Their answers: 1) The passion & general curiosity needed to scope out new music & 2) The ability to make people “open up.” The latter of which is a direct result of a not-so-hidden talent of mine: asking a bazillion questions.

If you could have a pen pal, who would it be: I adore Twitter & my favorite person I “follow” on Twitter is Jamie Tworkowski, founder of To Write Love On Her Arms (TWLOHA). I’ve found myself on numerous occasions thinking “I would love to be his friend.” He has excellent taste in music, a true appreciation for the human spirit, and a heart for those lost and hurting. His perspective on life is one to be envious of and I have a feeling he’s one of those people you spend time with and leave feeling truly blessed. A swell pen pal, no?

Guilty pleasure: Oh boy, am I about to embarrass myself? There’s this little known Web site called YouTube, perhaps you’ve heard of it? Yours truly manages to spend quite a bit of time on said Web site…time which may or may not include staying up to date on clips from the soap opera General Hospital.

Why I’m excited about interning with Mocha Club/fashionABLE: I have known and respected the Mocha Club now for almost 5 years, and from day one I knew I wanted to support Mocha Club in a physical capacity outside of my monthly gift. Until just a few months ago, however, I never truly thought interning with Mocha Club was a viable option for me, and yet here we are! I am looking oh-so-forward to getting a deeper look into this wonderful organization & a chance to use my own gifts and talents to serve those precious individuals the Mocha Club directly touches. And if I’m allowed to be just a little bit selfish, I must admit I’m quite excited about being surrounded by the wonderful music of the artists who support Mocha Club!

———-

Don’t forget that the Mochaterns have their own blog. They’ll continue to update you from their point of view all spring!

Friends/family of Madison: what are your thoughts? Why is Madison perfect for this internship? Any weird habits we should be warned about? Leave a comment telling us about her!

• Reply Rooms January 20, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Well, I had the amazing pleasure of living with Madison (Maddie, rooms) and have lots of fun things to share. She is an absolutely amazing friend. She will listen for HOURS and even act like she enjoys it. She always knows what to ask and when. She is super encouraging and supportive- if you tell Maddie that you are interested in or involved in anything- she is on your team in two seconds and going to help you in any way you can. I value her ability to be independent and different- she is always seeking the new underground music and styles. She is so passionate and has an amazing crative spirit in mind. Generosity doesn’t even begin to describe her heart and nor does endless love. Her laugh and smile light up a room. She is interested in others and not just where you’re from but three interesting facts and you’re very deepest dreams. This girl is a one of a kind and will teach you so much and be just as eager to learn.

• Reply ernie January 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I have known Maddie for about a year now, but I feel like we have been friends since birth! She has the amazing ability to make you feel loved, and really treasured as a person–which is probably why I feel like I’ve known her my entire life. Mocha Club is so blessed to have her for their intern program, and ps–she likes chocolate. a lot. 🙂 She is a person that is contagious in so many inspiring ways and I can’t wait to see where this journey takes her!

• Reply Kelly Vanderburg January 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I have the honor of being one of Madison’s older cousins and have been blessed to watch her go from a baby into a young woman I admire SO much. With over a 10 year age gap between us, we weren’t as close as some cousins may be. But I think that made me appreciate her all the more because I could step back and watch her grow. With time that age gap begins to close somehow and we begin to have more similarities in life than differences. Now I get to marvel at the young adult that she has become. She was always such a cute little girl, that has now evolved into such a beautiful young lady. The only thing hard to believe is that her spirit even surpasses her outer glow, which means you have a true gift in your presence. She has always been so smart, and talented, and creative, and has a heart of pure gold! At family gatherings she will always say yes when my children ask her to read a book or play a boardgame with them. How many new college graduates would say yes every single time to a boardgame of Pretty Pretty Princess? I have so enjoyed reading her blog and keeping up with the things that make her eyes and ears and heart perk up… She is such a strong person, to actually take the time to truly follow her heart. She will be able to look back and see a life that was FULL, not just mundane. She is an amazing, courageous, faith-filled, humble, joyful, loving, nurturing, passionate treasure! Watch out, because Madison Hipp is following her heart, and the world is sure to be changed!

• Reply Griff January 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm

This lady can light up a room without even being in it. The mention of her name alone brings joy and her heart bleeds with love for any and all that she comes in contact with. Her smile could stop a rhino in its tracks and her laugh could inspire an animal revolution the likes of which haven’t been seen since Simba was crowned King. She follows her heart and her heart has and will continue to lead her down a wonderful path of faith love and giving. Hard working in everything she does, she never forgets to have fun and can stare for hours at ‘so you think you can dance’ clips online. dang. thats amrazing.

• Reply Jonathan January 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Well I have known Madison my entire life (haha twin love) and have had the pleasure of sharing many things in life with this amazing young lady: ranging from birthdays, to road trips, to numerous concerts, and even more recently my apartment. There is no other person in this world I would rather spend this time with than her. The time we have spent together has been special in large part because of her amazing personality and spirit in that her compassion for others, selfless nature, and passion for life make spending time with her invaluable. I know how much the Mocha Club, and what they stand for, mean to her and could not be more happy for the opportunity she now has… Do.Love.Walk!!

• Reply Jenna (JR) January 20, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I. Love. This. Girl. Though we haven’t known each other very long, I can’t thank God enough for bringing us into each others’ lives. We met at a concert here in Wilmington, back in October when Madison made the 2 hour trip to work a booth for Mocha Club! That in itself should show how wonderful and dedicated she is. I was working the merch booth right beside her, we clicked, and the rest is history! 🙂 She is honestly the most genuine, joyful, encouraging person I’ve ever met and while I hate that she is even farther from me now, I am so ridiculously excited for her opportunity to do what she loves!! Mocha club is blessed to have you, Miss <3

• Reply Kristin Rodgers January 20, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Madison is the bomb!!!! What else can I say? Madison has been a part of my family for years. We love her dearly. She has been an employee of my catering company for a long time and she is one of my dearest employees. Madison will be an asset to any company she works for – Mocha Club, you are very lucky. If I could afford her UNC diploma, I would hire her immediately to assist in running my catering company.
    Madison is also a special lady to my husband and kids. I have 4 kids that adore her. Especially my daughter. My 14 year old daughter(Mackenzie) went on the Kenya mission trip Madison speaks of on her bio. They established quite a sisterhood on that trip. Thanks you Madison for being who you are – we love you dearly and wish you the best of luck in Nashville. Thanks for sharing this blog with me. I had the best time writing all of these good things about you and I mean every word of it – ha ha!!!

Loves and Kisses,
    Kristin
    AKA Boss

• Reply Jessica Metcalf January 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm

The thing is, I know Madison must really like Mocha Club, because she left the opportunity to sit beside me and work with me each day at DurhamCares 🙂 Madison is just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside – her love for others and Christ constantly encouraged me and others during her season here. I’m looking forward to hearing all about the wonderful things she does through Mocha Club. Cherish her, because Madison is a true blessing!

• Reply Dr. Chocolate and the Chocolatiers January 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Ok, so where do we begin? Maddie is an incredible individual who loves all of life and all people that populate it. She is totally the cat’s meow, cool and Da’ Bomb (did I capture the epitomes from every generation?). She is smart, funny, creative, talented, committed, kind, generous, giving, loving, caring, genuine, beautiful, wise, and wonderful in every way. She has befriended our family in so many ways that we could not begin to count them. She has shown an unbelievable compassion and friendship to our special needs daughter, who considers Maddie her friend. We love her immensely and look forward to the day that we get to see her again. When we do, life will be worth the living once more. 🙂

• Reply Katie January 20, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Madison Hipp is the bomb.com! 🙂

• Reply AbbyT January 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Maddiegascar… A name I have fondly called the above pictured Madison Hipp since our mission trip to Belize two years ago. Those were some of my favorite memories with her- we were so incredibly filled up by that sweet family and all of the children that looked up to Pastor Ron. Other favorite memories would include our all nighter/pizza party for Campaigns class and… that time I put dishwashing soap in the dishwasher. She would always give that laugh of hers and stand by my side. I’m so glad that you’re getting to experience life in my one and only hometown, the best place in the world, Nashville, TN!

• Reply Cyd January 20, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Maddie,

Wow what a great friend! you will be truly missed here in NC as our chocolate parents said you make every day brighter. And oh how you love us! Because he first love you, you daily go forward and love him and his children. Thank you so much for always being there and getting to know every one you meet. I will Miss you SO much. come sleep on my couch when you come home.

The Kid

• Reply Keva January 20, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Sweet Maddie-everytime i think of Madison, I think pure sunshine. She has a smile that will make anyone happy on their worst of days. She has a heart that burst with a love for others that is contagious. Quite simply, I love this chic. Just being around her gives me joy. Nashville, Mocha Club, you have got yourself a one of a kind. Love you Maddie

• Reply Haley Tucker January 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Sweet sweet Madison. We became friends through words. which, given the rawness of my writing style, may mean Maddie knows me better than most (Despite the fact we’ve been face-to-face only twice in the life of our friendship). She is the first person I’ve ever met who has more random questions stored up than myself. Which is truly saying something. She is what I like to call my soul friend (Much like that of Jonathan and David). She thrives on knowing people deeply. And is one who I’m sure would agree with me in the belief that all people are infinitely deep. And one of my favorite things about her is she thinks you’re funny. Even when you’re not. Or at least is very good at making you feel that way. She makes me think of the color yellow and being around her makes me feel the way I do after reading a good book. She inspires me to do everything from drink more tea to being a better person. She is lovely and she will do wonders at Mocha Club. But much like the MC Africa slogan, I believe Maddie needs you just as much as MC needs her. It’s exactly what God has intended. And I’m loving every vicariously-lived moment of it!

• Reply meredith January 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm

madi lives with great JOY. she is CREATIVE, THOUGHTFUL & loves to find BEAUTY in all things! in two words: she rocks!!!

• Reply Jessie S. January 20, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Maddie, you’ve inspired me to say “Hey folks!!!” when greeting large crowds in the chocolate store. I think it’s charming and it reminds me of you! I hope you’re having a great adventure!

• Reply JB January 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Maddie exemplifies the word JOY…as many have already noted above. I was lucky enough to work with her (and was one of those who opened up during many long shifts at the Chocolate Factory), and I will never forget the enthusiasm and positivity she carries with her everyday. Nashville and the Mocha Club are lucky to have her, and I cannot wait to see what amazing things she will accomplish 🙂

• Reply Meggie January 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Maddie,
    Where to begin! We started off as suitemates in college and then continued to grow our friendship through our mutual love of chocolate and all things with ribbons and bows 🙂 You have been my sushi date countless times, supported me through everything, helped plan my wedding, spent hours catching up on life, and routinely stayed late or opened early with me at work just to make sure that a special order was perfect. I have enjoyed watching our friendship grow and you have most recently been an inspiration to me through your blog. Mocha Club is an amazing organization that is lucky to have you. Not only will you give it your all but you will inevitably bring continuous JOY to the group. I so look forward to hearing about all the wonderful things you will do. Thank you for always investing in my life and being interested in others more than yourself. You are a beautiful child of God and I love you more than you know. Missing you already. Check your mail soon sweet friend 🙂 Love, Meggie

• Reply Katy D. January 21, 2011 at 7:50 am

You also have an amazing talent of expressing yourself through words! You are loved and missed but so excited that you are on this journey with this amazing organization that you love so much!

• Reply Mochaterns blog too!! « Mocha Club Blog January 21, 2011 at 8:02 am

[…] Madison’s post […]

• Reply Kelly January 21, 2011 at 8:36 am

I found myself with quite the ridiculous smile on my face as I read the previous 20 comments because they all reach the epitome of what is Maddie Hipp.. sheer awesomeness. I too had the honor and pleasure of rooming with Maddie for a few years during our formative college experience at Carolina. Experiencing life side by side with Maddie in our 8×12 palace (aka dorm room) really enabled me to see a lot of Maddie’s heart.. there isn’t much you can hide in such close quarters! As I watched Maddie grow through college, I don’t definitively know what it was that completely won me over. Maybe it was her fascination with nicknames, the ever-present cinnamon gum, her inquisitive heart always overflowing with love, or her unique perspective on the world. Whatever it was, it seems quite evident to me that I am not the only heart that Maddie has touched. More importantly, if I know Maddie there are so many more to follow.

This remarkable young woman will do amazing things. Brace yourself world, here she comes!

• Reply Christine D January 21, 2011 at 9:28 am

It is no exaggeration to say that my entire family LOVES Maddie! I feel so lucky to have had her in my life as well as my kids’ lives. My daughter totally idolizes her…..and I can’t blame her! I not only completely trust her with my kids – I know they are having THE best time when she’s around. It also didn’t hurt that she usually came bearing a yummy apple from Rocky Mtn Chocolate Factory! She has an infectious personality and joy and is such a genuine person. We share a love for Matt Wertz’s music, which is where I first heard of the Mocha Club. I’m so excited for you, Maddie, not to mention – love Nashville!

• Reply Rutherford January 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm

How do I begin describing what a blessing sweet Mads is to everyone she touches? You MCers will be saying the same thing when these few months are up. She is quite simply a breath of fresh air – any time and all the time. I knew there was something great about this gal from our first college class together. After a bit into the semester, I said: “I want to be friends with this girl.” So, I popped a squat next to her one day, and the rest is history, folks. She truly has a heart for others and has a gift of leaving a mark wherever she goes. The good, no – GREAT, kind of mark. The lovely Mrs. Hipp said to me, “You know, I think she’s really going to like Nashville and she’ll end of staying a while longer.” With Mads’ passions for Mocha Club, music, art, and cute coffeeshops – I have no doubt this is true. But I know one thing – Nashville & the Mocha Club are going to ADORE her!

• Reply Stephanie Palmer January 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Love love love Madison!!! She is full of joy and is one of the most beautiful young women I have met in ages. Mocha Club and everyone around her will truly benefit by having her on board for this internship. We miss her in NC but wish her well in TN!

• Reply Liz D. January 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Maddie is a sheer joy to be around. Her energy and love for life is infectious and you can’t help but smile when she is around! North Carolina misses you, but wishes you the best of luck in your newest adventure. P.S. You must spend some time at The Bluebird Cafe remembering the greatness of River Phoenix for me!!

• Reply jnewb January 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Micah 6:8! Madison rocks!

• Reply fairy god parents January 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Mocha Club – You are truly blessed to have her. There is no one like Madison! She’s simply the best.
    Nashville – She will touch your heart in a way you’ve never known and will always be a part of you no matter where she decides to roam.
    Madison – We love you always and couldn’t be prouder if you were our very own.
    Your fairy god parents!

• Reply Shannon Stinson January 21, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Madison,
    where to begin?! I have had the pleasure of living with this angel in college and was blessed by just being around her. Although Madi has an actual twin… we have coined the nickname “twins” for each other… Madi and i share a heart for many things, can almost read each others minds, and encourage each other in our dreams- no matter how small or large. However, calling me a “twin” to Madi is impossible. There is NO one that can compare to Madi’s light that she shines… by encouraging EVERYONE she meets, greeting everyone with a bright smile and effusing this contagious joy… none can compare.

Madi, your love for music, passion for all things African, and pure, sweet heart, i can’t imagine a more perfect person for this internship. Although we miss you dearly back in Durham, know that your love and beautiful smile still extends these hundreds of miles.

I love you, twins.

• Reply KD January 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Mocha Club. Forgive me if this is more a love letter to Madison. I think you might get something out of it too. Goodness. Why does this seem so difficult. No, no, CLEARLY it’s not because I can’t come up with anything… I honestly don’t know that I can sum up my dear Maddie Moo in words. And if I had to, I could write a novel. Maddie and I bonded INSTANTLY during one of our first shifts (WAY back in the day) working together at the wonderful chocolate store. (Shoutout to the RMCF fam)! It was miraculous how easily I could open up to this girl about the most sensitive of subjects. I found myself instantly pouring out my heart to her like she knew exactly where I was coming from. We talked about hard life stuff: the tragic loss of peers far too young, BIG life stuff: our life dreams(perhaps sounding like pipe dreams to some people, but for us-we’d settle for nothing less). I do believe Maddie’s included work with the one and only MOCHA CLUB!!!! FUN life stuff: art and our favorite musicians, and the BEST life stuff: Our Savior who has and will make all things right. There have been many times between that night and now. So many stories. So many CONCERTS. A shared room for the summer filled with late night heart-to-hearts, tears(mostly from laughing, actually), Chels and James, sitting in a room for an hours and it being ok that we were both silent, SO MANY CARAMEL APPLES, late night drives just to watch the stars and share new tunes, cooking nights and jam sessions,dreams, the shared desire to KEEP LEARNING!,goals, movie nights, Jenna!, Janae!,HOURS OF SYTYCD, SYTYCD tour, road trips, road trip planning, SO MUCH LAUGHTER and abundant JOY.

When I think of Maddie I think: JOY and her acknowledgment of where it comes from. Have ya’ll heard her laugh yet?! Oh, I adore it. Maddie came into my life when I needed her the most. She brings out the ABSOLUTE BEST in me and I can’t even begin to describe how that has changed me/rescued me. God knew what he was doing when he introduced the two of us (and ALL of the beautiful friends/family we share). Her family is my family. Her parent’s send me Christmas cards and I feel like I’ve known her dear twin forever. 🙂 I don’t even know her friend, “B” yet and he already feels like my brother!

Maddie loves Africa. Maddie loves people. Maddie loves. I’m so thankful God brought Maddie to love on me! You guys truly have a gem, Mocha Club! Pure, sweet, creative, accepting, contagiously happy, humble and graceful Madison!

Moo, I’m grinnin,cheesin so BIG right now =D
    I LOVE YOU, miss you and cannot WAIT to visit.

Do. Love. Walk.
    -KD

ps- Mocha club, if you discover any “annoying habits” let us know. I’m unaware of any.

• Reply KD January 21, 2011 at 11:03 pm

yep,i think i just wrote a novel. my apologies!

• Reply Elisa January 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

Where to begin when talking about Maddie?!?! She is absolutely a joy to be around! I just love her! I think we could make anything funny and laugh about it for hours! She has a gift for listening and offering great wisdom! This young lady LOVES Jesus and it’s evident by her character. I am confident that whatever position she holds she will give it 110%! Her ability to find joy in the smallest things is a true gift! She is also super creative! I mean have you seen her blog?! Amazing!!! I love Maddie and I know that everyone who has ever met her loves her too! She’s has a personality that every type of individual can find something to relate to. It’s really awesome! I’m so proud of her and how she lives as she was created. She loves this world and it’s wonderful to hear her talk about it! I LOVE her a lot!!!

Sending you a lot of hugs and laughter!!! love you, Maddie!

xoxoxo,
    E

• Reply Mom January 22, 2011 at 8:10 pm

It has been pure joy to watch Madison (aka “Miss” to mom and dad) blossom into the beautiful young woman she is today. It was obvious to me many years ago that Madison was destined for great things – not only according to the world’s standards but most importantly according to God’s standards. Madison loves Jesus and possesses an uncompromising faith. She is the epitome of “walking the walk”. She is selfless; always putting others first and giving generously of herself. She is thoughtful and kind; constantly sharing an encouraging word and a “brighten your day smile”. Did I mention her enviable positive attitude; constantly seeing the best in everyone and every situation and continuously seeing the glass half full. Madison’s work ethic will not allow her to give any less than 100%; therefore Mocha Club you can expect to receive her very best and then some simply because of the love and belief she has for what you stand for and accomplish. Mocha Club, my loss is your gain and I know without a doubt that at the end of these four short months it will be obvious to you how blessed you have been to have had the awesome pleasure of knowing my amazing and precious daughter. And Miss, my heart soars as I read the “wonderfully written words” others have penned on your behalf. You are SPECIAL and you are LOVED!

Keep seeking God’s best for your life,
    Mom

• Reply Marcypants January 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Maddie!
    I knew the night we went to The Loop and the ballet at Memorial Hall freshman year that you were a life-long friend in the making. The two weekends you spent at my house that summer were such fun times, and I remember lying awake just talking for hours. You have such a gift of loving people, and making others feel special about themselves. Your generous spirit and kind heart radiates the love of Christ. You are a friend that I know I can call randomly, even if our crazy lives have prohibited us from talking for weeks, and pick up right where we left off.

I feel blessed to have such a friend who truly knows me, quirks and all, and loves me for who I am. Mocha Club is lucky to have you interning with them.

Love,
    EM

• Reply heather p. January 23, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Love her! Such a great person to be around!

Good luck in

• Reply heather p. January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Ok, let’s try again (i accidently hit a button! Oops!)

Good luck in TN (my home state). I know you will love it there and have so much fun in your adventure. We all miss you!

• Reply chelsea January 24, 2011 at 3:43 am

Simply put, Madison Hipp is an incredible woman and you are lucky to have her. And I know that’s what people aaalways say, but in this case, it’s true. I know because I feel personally lucky and blessed to have her in my life and to be able to call her my best friend.

Okay – things you should know about Maddie:
    -She loves to work! & she’s so great at it! I’ve worked with Maddie for the past couple of years, and seeing her in action is a sight to behold. She puts her all into everything, loves to complete tasks to the finish, and will do the best quality work possible. So don’t be afraid to give her responsibilities. She thrives in that place.
    -She’s a people person, to the max. Maddie is one of those people who is always willing to help when you have a problem, wanting to talk things out when you’ve had a bad day, and celebrating with you in all the good things. She’s a giver. So go ahead, ask her for things – her time, her advice – she’s an incredible encourager and one of the most thoughtful people I know. You will be so blessed by the time you get to spend even just chatting with her.
    -Details details details. This is something I LOVE about Maddie. She notices things, even the little things. Not in a nit-picky way, but rather she notices the GOOD things and celebrates them, no matter how small. Whether it’s a perfectly placed piece of yarn around a gift, or the way certain colors accent each other, Maddie is all over it. So, when some people get overwhelmed by a big project, Maddie is always there to remind us that the magic is in the details. I believe in this so much that I am trusting Maddie for many of my wedding plans!

I’m so excited that Maddie will be with the Mocha Club over the next couple of months – I know it’s a match made in heaven because her heart is so FOR this organization and she has all the skills to back it up. It’s so surreal to me that after our many long conversations and road trips to Nashville, she’s actually there and making it happen! But that’s just who she is. Maddie knows her mind and will follow her heart. What a gem! She’ll bring you untold amounts of joy!